- Who? Pioneers at first, billions of ordinary people later.
- What? Artificial ecosystems inside gigantic rotating, pressurized spacecraft shielded from radiation.
- Where? In orbit; near Earth at first.
- How? Solar energy, lunar and asteroidal materials, and lots of hard work.
- Why? To grow.
- When? Good question, when do you start working on it?
- How much will it cost? If you have to ask, you can't afford it
Student Design Contest
NASA Ames sponsors an annual space settlement design contest
for 6-12th grade students.
Online Space Settlement Books
- Bootstrapping Space Communities with Micro Rovers and High Tensile Boot Laces (Tethers) [PDF file]. How to Start Building Cities and Factories Thoughout the Solar System, for What We Are Now Spending on Space, authored by Bruce A. Mackenzie, Space Studies Institute - Senior Associate, and National Space Society - Director.
- Centripetal Vivarium Space Habitats by Andrew Thompson. Includes pictures and 3D model.
- A Futurist Perspective For Space by Dr. Kenneth J. Cox, (firstname.lastname@example.org), June 2001. (PDF file)
- Distant Space Travel Better Conducted As Family Affair. University of Florida Daily News article.
- SpaceSettlers. A site devoted to space settlement discussion.
- Astrobiology Web
- Space settlement contest NAS highlights.
These are highlights associated with the design contest that were reported
to NAS management.
- Videos of weightless living.
- Annotated bibliography.
- Ringworld: a Java applet to interactively explore
some aspects of living in a rotating environment, particularly jumping off high platforms and throwing balls.
- Links to solar sail web sites.
- Lewis One space settlement design: intended to improve on the 10,000 inhabitant designs of the mid-70s depicted in the artwork (see above). The new design features large shielded micro-g construction bays, low-g agriculture near the rotation axis to reduce the length of cylindrical settlements, large micro-g visitor and recreation areas, space viewing, and low-g recreation.
- The Space Show. The Space Show focuses on timely and important issues influencing the development of outer-space commerce and space tourism, as well as other related subjects of interest to us all.
- Space Settlement papers
"AsterAnts: A Concept for Large-Scale Meteoroid
Return and Processing Using the International Space Station," Al Globus, Bryan Biegel, and Steve Traugott.
- Space playgound a zero-g playground designed by four, five, and six year olds at the Santa Cruz Children's School.
- General Public Space Travel and Tourism
- Related web sites.
Other Space Settlement Web Sites
- The Artemis Project
to establish a self-sufficient lunar colony.
- Issac Asimov on space settlements.
- Cygo Space Initiative. CYGO's Space Initiative has to do with planning and deliberate action towards mining near earth asteroids, molding and casting of interlocking pieces, assembly of private interconnectable space vehicles, assembly of space platforms in various configurations (incl. settlements and quarters for residents and tourists) and assisting in the setting up of new commercial and industrial operations in space.
- BIO-Plex Information Exchange. NASA Ames Research Center In-House LIfe Support Technology Review Databook.
- Biosphere 2 was able to support 8 people for two years in a
(almost) materially closed system, although many problems were encountered. See the
FAQ. Such closed systems are essential for space colonization.
- Burning the Cosmic Commons: Evolutionary Strategies for Interstellar Colonization.[PDF file] A paper by Robin Hanson
Mike Combs' Space Settlement FAQ.
- Mike Combs'
space settlement page.
- Freeluna.com dedicated to the proposition that the colonization of outer space is critical for the
long term survival of the human species, and that colonization of the moon and the exploitation of the
moon's natural resources is one of the very best first steps in that incredible journey off planet.
- Adaptation of Stereolithography to the In-Situ
Construction of Lunar Basalt Structures A novel method of basalt casting with applications towards semi-autonomous robotic processing is
presented by William Clawson.
- First Millennial Foundation.
- P.E.R.M.A.N.E.N.T. the
Projects to Employ Resources of the Moon
and Asteroids Near Earth in the Near
- Space ColonyH. Try this psychologically-based, problem-solving leadership game set in space.
- The Space Frontier
- Spaceflight or Extinction A civilization restricted to the surface of a single planet has inevitable threats to its long-term existence. Natural threats such as epidemics and impacts from space objects, and man-made threats such as nuclear and biological war, will be joined by new threats from emerging sciences and technologies.
- Space Quotes to Ponder What famous people (and some not
famous) have said about why humankind must expand into space.
Studies Institue. This organization hosts a space settlement
conference every two years.
- National Space Society. Join the vision and put Space in your future.
- Space Future for everyone who wants to go to space.
- Spacesettlers. "Space Settlers" is the group for people who think that
space settlements - huge rotating orbital habitats, or
space cities - are a better option for human colonization
in space than planetary colonization and terraforming. If
you agree with this idea, come and discuss with us the
better ways to make it a reality someday. If you don't
agree, come and expose what you think are the weak points
of that idea. Everyone who thinks that space colonization
is the next great step for Humanity is welcome! Join the email group.