Introduction. The primary purpose of the National Space Society Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest is to encourage the creation of space settlement art that can be used by NSS for the limited use of promoting its non-profit objective of creating a spacefaring civilization. Such use could include the NSS website, the NSS magazine Ad Astra, and possible calendars, brochures and other promotional materials. We believe this use is for the benefit of the future of humanity and we hope and trust that this is a cause and use that artists would support.
Terms and Conditions
By clicking the "Submit" button on our Submit page and submitting your art to the National Space Society Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest, you hereby grant the National Space Society and its Chapters a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual license to:
- A. Reproduce said art and associated textual description (in whole or in part) in print, electronic, and other media to promote the goals of the National Space Society.
- B. Modify and/or crop for sizing, transmission, or distribution of your submission without prior or additional consent.
- C. Use the artists name, likeness and biographical information in connection with the art being submitted.
You also agree that without prior or additional consent:
- A. Winning images may appear in an NSS Space Settlement Calendar.
- B. Submitted images will be displayed on the NSS web site in association with the NSS Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest.
- C. Submitted images may be used in articles in the society's magazine and other membership publications in connection with the Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest.
- D. Submitted images may be used elsewhere in association with reporting of the Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest or publicity for or about the Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest.
- E. NSS may also use the submitted art in other promotional and advertising material in support of its non-profit objective of creating a spacefaring civilization. Such use includes the NSS website, the NSS magazine Ad Astra, and possible brochures and other promotional materials.
The National Space Society stipulates that:
- Copyright is retained by the artist and the use of such art by NSS is limited or restricted to those described in these terms and conditions and that NSS may not grant use of the art to third parties.
You also agree that:
- A. The NSS Roadmap to Space Settlement Art Contest reserves the right to reject any submission without showing cause (in which case, neither NSS nor its chapters may use that submission for any purpose without the specific separate permission of the artist).
- B. Prizes will only be awarded at the Grand and First Prize levels if qualified entries are judged as meeting the standards for artwork of that award level. It may be that the quality of artwork received in any given year does not meet judging standards for a particular award level and as such, no prize in that category would be awarded that year.
- C. If a co-sponsor later offers a prize in this contest, The National Space Society will not be held liable if that co-sponsor fails to deliver that prize.
- D. Future publication of an NSS Space Settlement Calendar is uncertain and NSS will not be held liable if such publication does not occur.
- E. NSS reserves the right to extend the contest submission deadline.
- F. This Agreement may not be amended except by written agreement between the parties.
Further, you also warrant that:
- A. The art being submitted is original art created in whole and part by you and does not violate any copyrights.
- B. The art being submitted is not subject to any third party intellectual property rights.
- C. If an image is one of the winners of the contest and the medium used to create the artwork was not electronic, the artist may be required to send the original piece of art to NSS for public display. Exceptions will be granted if this poses a hardship
- D. At the time of submission into this contest, the parents/guardian of students under the age of 18: (1) have read these terms and conditions; (2) give their permission to the person entering this contest that they can enter the contest; (3) give approval to all terms and conditions stated above and will further provide in writing a statement of such approval and permission if requested by NSS at a future date. [Note to teachers: You must have signed permissions from parents/guardians of entrants under the age of 18 if you are sponsoring the student entry. Do not send NSS these permissions unless NSS requests them.]
If you have any questions regarding the contest, please email the NSS Education and Outreach Chair, Lynne Zielinski, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
MENU for NSS Space Settlement Art Contest:
Home Page (General Info and Prizes) - Submission Requirements - Submission Form - Terms and Conditions - Judging Guidelines - Resource Information for Artists - Gallery of Submitted Art - NSS Roadmap Milestones