[Publicaffairs] Re: Space Settlement Ideas

LOBY4SPACE at aol.com LOBY4SPACE at aol.com
Sat Jan 28 17:21:07 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/27/2006 9:43:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, GHAllison
writes:

Please excuse me for not reading all of the messages in this thread before I
respond.  I have not seen Simberg's blog in a while and have never seen
Reynolds'.  Arthur does raise important considerations here for our discussion.  We
are a diverse society with a unifying goal of space settlement.  Partisan
agendas are potentially very dangerous to our central goal.  Let us be mindful not
to loose sight of that.  This is a factor to bring to the table in future
discussions and negotiations with Rand and Glenn.  If they are hard-set toward
maintaining their partisan agendas (as many passionate people tend to be (and
that is ok for their purposes)) our relationship with their blogs may have to be
more indirect.  Maybe we can share links, cross references, and some common
discussion themes/threads.  Would that absolve us from their partisanship and
allow us to work with them?  I do not know at this time.  We should at least
open a channel of dialog to explore what the potentials could be in these
respects.  Of course this 'shared resource' approach does seem to beg independent
blog activities on our part.  Should we fail to find sufficient common ground
with either of them, then maybe we should just establish our own independent
blog capabilities?  There is much to consider here.

NSS/L5 is an organization which once had both Senator Barry Goldwater and LSD
advocate Timothy Leary on the Board of Directors at the same time.  We need
to act intelligently when building coalitions involving people of strongly
divergent political backgrounds  -- but it is nothing new for us.  The key is to
find people who strongly believe in Space Settlements -- to the point that they
are willing to overlook other differences.

Mark

Mark