<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
<br>
<br>
-------- Original Message --------
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">Subject: </th>
      <td>Notes from March 5 ISDC telecon</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">Date: </th>
      <td>Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:42:25 -0800</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">From: </th>
      <td>Robin Snelson <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:robin.snelson@gmail.com">&lt;robin.snelson@gmail.com&gt;</a></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">To: </th>
      <td>George T. Whitesides <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:george@nss.org">&lt;george@nss.org&gt;</a></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="baseline">CC: </th>
      <td>Pat Montoure <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:montoure.pat@ssd.loral.com">&lt;montoure.pat@ssd.loral.com&gt;</a></td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>
<br>
<br>
<pre>ISDC organizing committee telecon on Sunday Mar 5, 2006 at 1:00pm  
Pacific / 4:00pm Eastern time.

Agenda:

1. Introductions

George Whitesides
Pat Montoure
Brian
Mike Turney
John Wright
Dave Snead
Mark Hopkins
Lisa Kaspin
Brett Silcox
Dennis Whipple
Seth Potter
Berin Szoka
Michael Mealling
Will Watson
Josh Powers
Rich Pournelle
Robin Snelson
Vern McGeorge
Ben Shelef
Joe Rauscher
Joe Redfield
Jim Spellman
Allison Dollar
Sam Coniglio
Stan Rosen
Ted Strange


Scheduling issue:  Now less than 2 months away from the start of the  
conference.  Time to move into weekly meetings.  Not necessarily for  
everyone to attend each one, but as many as possible.

Baseline, to meet every week on Sunday.  Could start once on Sunday,  
once on an evening during the week.

Sunday okay, whatever we do, let's make it consistent.

Consistently missing anybody on Sunday?  Only Planetary, but work  
with them on Tuesday in leadership meetings.  Try to encourage  
Planetary to send a rep to these Sunday meetings.
So, now we'll meet weekly on Sunday at this time.

Move track chair reports to end of meeting

2. General updates
Thanks to Mike for keeping programming up to date on website.  Now we  
are programming and scheduling, talking with all the top VIP  
speakers, fitting them into top speaking opportunities depending on  
their availablilities.
Pat doing a great job.  We will have a new iteration of schedule with  
rooms attached end of next week.  For now, defer those questions


3. Programming  Pat / George
A. Track Chairs Reports
(moved to end of meeting)

5. Videographer for ISDC

6. Responsibility reports

A. Big name speakers  George

Charles Elachi, opening speaker Thursday.
Keynote by Elon Musk
Burt Rutan lunch speech
fabulous afternoon of programming, featuring head of Google Earth,  
head of NM space development, folks from Virgin Galactic

Next morning Space Adventures and Greg Olsen will give a talk
then Shana Dale and Moon Mars Exploration
then a bunch of special surprise guests, depending on availability


B. Thurs night Gala - Space Tourism Soc

new name, Orbit Awards (not Gala) -- AV requirements?  talk to Pat
Allison -- has walk-through on Wednesday with John
have people in place to do the show reel on the video side, if you  
have things nice for montage or background stuff, get with Karen Rugg  
about that -- collecting all info about awardees and bios

Pat:  send to Lisa, so she can get program book information
GEorge: two pages in

Allison:  Also getting a lot of suggestions from people about what we  
should do at Awards, want to temper that enthusiasm a bit, too many  
chefs

Joe Redfield:  catch up later on with Allison

C. Registration

Joe:  78 so far

D. Hotel  Please send any questions/concerns to Pat

E. Audio Visual  Pat will need to have speakers requirements ASAP

Pat sent Matt Kaplan first proposal, also getting one from hotel,  
Matt has some other people to send RFPs.
GW - when you refine that price, send to Joe
Pat- higher than Joe budgeted
Big screens for rooms
Could get 2 in Orbit Awards, move one from another room.

GW -- Pat and Allison, please talk with Matt and coordinate
Allison budgeted all separate
Pat thought they were ordering for them.
GW -- let's all talk before Wednesday meeting
Michael Mealling -- many people starting to put video in powerpoints,  
and a lot of LCD projectors can't accomodate.  Would be great to  
solve the problem to avoid stumbling over video that doesn't work --  
written out instructions

GW -- preference is to have dedicated computers, presentations from  
those
Stan -- will recommend AV group to Pat
GW -- does anybody want to serve on an ad hoc tech team to deal with  
specs for presentations
Sam volunteers.  If anybody else wants to work on it, all email Pat.


F. Tours - Planetary Soc / Walt Mirczak
GW:  made progress on JPL tour, SpaceX tour
Rich Pournelle on line, will help us with Mojave tour
want to get all these tours up on line this week
will be able to register on secondary registration form

Seth:  Boeing tour needs list of names and citizenships, still  
haven't cleared to advertise on website.  Will work with Walt.   
Boeing can accomodate two tours.
MarK:  Sunsat board meeting set for Wednesday or what?
Seth: wed May 3 at Boeing
Mark: we have room reserved for them on Wednesday
Seth:  Sunsat will run a session in SSI track, John Mankins will  
lead, Sunsat board will meet separately

G. Web Site  Mike Turney

GW: Mike doing a fantastic job
Mike:  registration page loads slow, still waiting for content for  
space art and tours content
Sam: says STS website will be linking to ISDC registration page

H. Vendor/Dealers Room 
Pat:  we have a number already, not going to go out and beat the  
bushes --
all you guys from other organizations, if you want to put materials  
out, we'll have

I. Affiliate organizations Pat
sent out many emails
Robin:  suggest email/newsletter template to affiliate orgs, ad links  
with code snippets
GW: Robin draft for putting up on website

J. Corporate Sponsors  Stan Rosen
GW: waiting to see if NASA was going to come on as an official sponsor
Sam: take a look at Apple proposal

K. Corporate Exhibitors

L. PR Jeremy
GW:  Jeremy and Susan at Planetary working on postcards to TPS and  
NSS members
Allison:  postcard, invitation to Orbit Awards, let's coordinate

4. Programming Book  Track Chairs: Lisa Kaspin is going to be  
putting together the program book. She will need Bio, Photos (if  
possible) and a small (3-4 sentences) paragraph about speakers, and  
subject matter.

GW:  Lisa, it would be great if you could produce a table of  
contents, and then try to identify sections where you need other  
people to give you material -- enable the rest of us to help get that  
information to you.

Mike Turney:  on speakers page, who is not a speaker only a guest?
GW:  will put together that list for Lisa
Sam:  has photos available for program book

Track chair reports:


6. Other business (please email George or Pat to put additional items  
on the agenda).

Pat- pass
Brian - contact GW about
Mike
John Wright -
Pat -- Will Watson taking over the grid, he needs to be cc'd on  
anything to do with rooms or slots
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:willjwatson@gmail.com">willjwatson@gmail.com</a>
Will will send email to list,
Dave -- unclear which speakers you can see for the basic price, and  
which ones are extras.  It would be good to be clear before the early  
bird deadline.  emails from speakers whose attendance at conf  
contingent on abstract being accepted.  Dave will send out a note to  
all chairs re accepting abstracts
Mike Turney -- possible to extend early bird deadline a week or so?
GW reluctant, will think about it
Michael Mealling -- speakers get any break on prices?
GW  normal policy, plenary level attractions will get registrations  
waived, not meals.  In general, people in the tracks don't get  
registrations waived.
Pat -- Planetary not charging their speakers.
GW -- nobody's going to get a discount without formal approval from  
top level of the conference.  we don't want to give wholesale  
freebies away, good way to get conference in trouble
Michael --
Allison -- big conferences don't charge their speakers a dime.you're  
underpricing your conference

Mark:  Awards committee assuming awards Friday and Saturday lunches  
and dinners, and they'll put together the presentations for the awards.
GW: needs to be coordinated with Pat and me.
Mark: any other programming in those meals, except the speakers?
GW: not sure about other speakers right now

Lisa:  will need awards info from awards committee

Brett - no
Dennis Whipple - (gone)
Seth -- jobs and careers fair, fading but not completely out,
GW -- need to get you connected with Joe Rauscher
Joe: working with Rachel Larson of Boeing Young Engineers Group, hope  
to have a team put together for the job fair.  Hoping for maybe ten  
companies.  Looking for volunteers.
Pat:  charge rate for table?  $75
GW: for corporations that participate at a higher level, they will  
get a table included
Seth:  with Craig's blessing, sent volunteer list to Boeing Young  
Engineers, will coordinate with Joe and Rachel

Berin: understand from talking to Mike that you need help with legal  
and regulatory track

Berin agrees to chair the Law and Policy track
Michael -- Berin and I talking about coordinating with George re any  
AST others who might belong in that track --trying to get _____from  
State

Berin -- business track, specific legal issues having to do with  
business within business track

Will -- no

Josh - chaired previous conf, and will chair next.
Pat: re badges.
GW: handled by Randall and Gary, may be an automated facility now

Rich - nothing to add
GW: thanks for Mojave tour and reaching out to special speakers, Rich  
is bus dev

Robin -- re track managers should program for the afternoons as much  
as possible, plenaries and keynotes scheduled in the morning
GW: Planetary tracks
GW: Plenary means talk or panel with top-level speakers going on when  
nothing else is going on
Planetary and NSS are coordinating on the plenaries, just one track  
in the morning,
Michael -- some programming won't fit
GW: simplify the morning, and give these VIP speakers great audience,  
people who will be broadly interesting --

Dave: have to pay another $165 for space venturing forum to see Elon  
Musk?
GW: answer no.  but your confusion is something that might be shared  
by other people.

Michael:  Sunday morning doing tracks?
GW:  probably

Joe Rauscher: still thinking of sometime Saturday for job fair?
GW: yes

Pat: Big room can break down in to small rooms for tracks in afternoon.

Vern: looks like we're 110 percent filled, will take option of going  
to Sunday or optional morning session
trying to put together panel from user community to talk about what  
economics of space elevator to them, send emails to track managers
Michael Mealling and Berin Szoka will work with him to get speakers  
for his panel
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:vern@spaceward.org">vern@spaceward.org</a>

Ben - no
Joe Rauscher - nothing more

Jim Spellman -- any word from Gen. Pete Worden about speaking to base  
commander at vandenberg.  Space Services Inc hopes to launch second  
Falcon from Vandenberg early May.  could be interesting.
Email regarding this year being 40th anniversary of Star Trek, since  
a couple of our board members are cast members from original series,  
any kind of tribute or honor to series?
GW: good question, still waiting to hear from Nichelle Nichols,  
Kennda talking to Paramount about getting all
explorers web has ISDC listed

Joe Redfield -- we have 77 registrants, 12 people registered for STS  
awards banquet, haven't got much time, we need to be doing  
advertising, and get people registered.

Stan -- re sponsorship package -facility requirements for exhibitors
Pat will get info from hotel,
GW -- sounds like we need to do more work on this.  Get specs from  
hotel?
pat, vern -- hotel has lost architectural drawings
Stan-- drawing that shows exhibit spaces we're selling?
Pat -- no
GW -- we need to get that done

Ted - videography, talk to George later

George:  one piece of news, confidential to folks on this line, good  
chance that we might have a full scale mockup of SpaceShipOne at the  
conference.

A lot of you guys are nexus points in the community, do what you can  
to push the registration -- let's do what we can

Talk next week, same time -- to the extent you can, feel free to send  
out quick reports on your area of responsibility, that way we can get  
through these talks quicker.

</pre>
</body>
</html>