<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
Minutes from Robin.&nbsp; Thanks Robin, you are awesome.<br>
<br>
Pat<br>
<br>
<div id="RTEContent"><br>
<b><i>Robin Snelson <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:robin.snelson@gmail.com">&lt;robin.snelson@gmail.com&gt;</a></i></b> wrote:
<blockquote class="replbq"
 style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;">
Pat and George,<br>
  <br>
Notes for you. George, about putting the meeting notes up on the <br>
wiki... did I mention that I hate wikis?<br>
  <br>
I'll just send them to you two, and you can decide how to distribute --<br>
  <br>
Robin<br>
  <br>
ISDC planning meeting January 22, 2006<br>
at Sheraton Gateway LAX<br>
  <br>
in room<br>
Pat Montoure, Dave Snead, Craig Ward, Seth Potter, Lisa Kaspin, Sam <br>
Coniglio, Robin Snelson<br>
+ ... Dennis Whipple, Ramona Montayne<br>
  <br>
on call<br>
George Whitesides, Jeremy Pyle, Brett Silcox, Mike Turney, Dave <br>
Stuart, Frank Pietronigro, Walt Mirzcak, Amaresh Kollipara, Mark <br>
Hopkins, Kennda Lynch<br>
  <br>
Pat: Phil was in accident, will be okay but can't work on programming <br>
now, so Pat is it -- coordinating all programming.<br>
  <br>
Programming book: Lisa will edit, needs somebody to help lay out. <br>
Mike Turney did last conference, great job. Lisa wants to touch <br>
base with him.<br>
  <br>
Mike: plan early, start building it as you go along.<br>
GW: Mike, will you mentor Lisa?<br>
Mike: get an individual or two in charge of acquiring bios, head <br>
shots, start as soon as you can. Lisa works in Quark on Windows, <br>
Mike uses Adobe PageMill on a Mac. [If these two can get along, <br>
there's hope for the space world.]<br>
Sam: suggest simple template in Word<br>
Craig: schedule in Excel<br>
Pat: short bios, synopsis of program<br>
Mike and Lisa will talk about producing the program book<br>
  <br>
GW: Pat will run the meeting, first a few announcements<br>
Big name speakers, the wheels are finally engaged -- if you've seen <br>
the latest list we have Buzz, Rusty, Rick Searfoss, Eric Anderson, <br>
Peter Diamandis (garbled -- something about terraforming Mars) Hugh <br>
Downs, John Mankins, Elon Musk, Steve Oswald, Dennis Tito for the STS <br>
gala and now Burt Rutan. You see here the new world of space. <br>
Expect Planetary Society will soon confirm many leading planetary <br>
scientists -- Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Titan and Pluto. Third <br>
component, we should soon hear back from our invited NASA speakers, <br>
Griffin, Shana Dale highest ranking woman in NASA ever. Expect we'll <br>
get more confirmations over coming couple of weeks.<br>
  <br>
Promotion publicity: Ads, big ads in Ad Astra, sending out <br>
promotional email.<br>
Feel we as a team are starting to jell together.<br>
  <br>
Question by ?: Any invites to legislators? GW: Reps Calvert, <br>
Rohrbacher, Jane Harmon, Sen Feinstein<br>
  <br>
  <br>
Gala:<br>
Space Tourism Society will do publicity to include ISDC?<br>
Sam: John Spencer's list will get the press release. Tasked to do <br>
ecommerce site. GW: Check w/ Allison, new development, we will set <br>
up ticket sales through the conference<br>
Seth: STS Gala &amp; NSS awards banquet the same? Answer: no. Separate.<br>
GW: just worked out relationship w STS w/Allison Dollar. NSS would <br>
play greater role than TPS in the STS Gala.<br>
Last year, we distributed awards over the course of several meal <br>
events, so to focus more attention on individual winners instead of a <br>
steady stream of awards. Looking for consensus on that sort of <br>
approach.<br>
Everyone agrees that's a good way to do it.<br>
  <br>
Pat: how many registered? GW: don't know at the moment, need to open <br>
database<br>
  <br>
Pat: any questions for dealing with hotel?<br>
AV? Dennis Whipple's contact missing, will work with hotel for AV setup<br>
Wireless? Will ask for it in the conference package.<br>
Dave Stuart: include wireless in room for conf. attendees?<br>
Sam: art show -- equipment for hanging, locations in hotel, room for <br>
a 20-foot diameter planet?<br>
Robin: rocket-bike demonstration?<br>
Jeremy: has a list of media-related questions will send to Pat for <br>
meeting tomorrow<br>
Dennis Whipple-- arrives -- recommends going with hotel anyway. sees <br>
his job as to coordinate with whatever company we hire, not to find <br>
the company. work with hotel is smoothest thing we can do, if within <br>
budget<br>
  <br>
Mark: look into other ways to set up our own wireless network<br>
[calling Googlemobile]<br>
  <br>
  <br>
Tours:<br>
Walt -- working on Vandenberg, JPL, Mojave (XCOR, Spaceport, Scaled), <br>
Sea Launch, SpaceX, Ruben H Fleet<br>
Rich Pournelle contact at XCOR. George re Scaled?<br>
GW:Burt can't commit until mid-April until he knows more about what <br>
will be able to be public<br>
GW: re JPL, recently emailed with Louis Friedman, would talk to <br>
Charles Elachi about arranging a tour. Bruce Betts down in Florida <br>
for Pluto launch. Susan is the point of contact for tours -- <br>
coordinate with her.<br>
R: Phil said Sea Launch was a no-go GW: still working on it, may yet <br>
happen<br>
Spellman said Vandenberg was a no-go, but Walt says still trying. <br>
GW: we'll get some of our generals on it.<br>
Amaresh: will remind Rich Pournelle tomorrow when speaks to him<br>
  <br>
Jeremy: Possible a sneak preview of Griffith Observatory ? GW: small <br>
group of Planetary VIPs toured in connection with their gala, they <br>
have the contacts, Walt should raise question to Planetary<br>
  <br>
Jeremy: Ruben H Fleet is a go, just a question of interest and <br>
transportation arrangement<br>
  <br>
Website:<br>
GW: thanks to Mike, Jeremy. Karen finished log. Karen and Steven <br>
working together to develop new graphic look for ISDC site.<br>
Seth: Planetary no obvious link yet<br>
Robin: big invite from Lou Friedman on website<br>
Seth: SSI site it's the biggest thing<br>
  <br>
Mike Turney: sharing info, bios, photos etc, figure out a way to <br>
share our stuff, in ISDC directory<br>
GW: upload on Wiki possible? don't know. Password-protected area on <br>
NSS site, we could give access to you and Lisa<br>
  <br>
Dave Stuart: two things, ideas from the past. 1. a small area to <br>
leave messages about sharing rooms, 2. list of last names and states <br>
of registrants for self-confirmation that registration received, note <br>
underneath about meals.<br>
  <br>
GW: Dave, identify how to do this? Message board? NSS forum?<br>
Dave will write it up, post on forum, and Mike will integrate into <br>
website.<br>
[note to Karen and Steven]<br>
  <br>
Vendors and Dealers:<br>
Lost the person who was doing that. Need somebody to take that on. <br>
Anybody? Craig will check with volunteers from OASIS<br>
  <br>
Affiliates:<br>
Seth: progress on stuff nobody asked me to do -- Hal Walker <br>
confirmed, Kennda. Space Studies Institute call for papers for ISDC, <br>
number of topics within space solar power now a session within SSI <br>
track. Sunsat Council will be involved with SSI, and SSI with ISDC.<br>
Mark: potential problem developing. All soliciting papers, some <br>
topics may be the same for all three organizations, could be a conflict.<br>
Seth: all the representatives should talk to each other.<br>
Dave Snead and Lee Valentine<br>
Especially space settlement stuff that's SSI is also specific to NSS <br>
-- potential conflict.<br>
Seth: SSI and TPS about as unlike as you can get<br>
Robin: they both have solar sails<br>
  <br>
Pat: need somebody to recruit supporting organizations<br>
GW: already have many groups signed on, need to nail down the <br>
particulars, could use help, means helping me reach out to these <br>
groups, lot of legwork already done. Hoping Robin would help.<br>
OK.<br>
Kennda: still hasn't gotten paperwork for affilliate org<br>
GW: we have a document, needs to be finished, very straightforward, <br>
it will be out soon.<br>
Kennda: update, Hal WAlker confirmed, Exec Direc Carl Mack confirmed, <br>
to be videotaed, amazing orator, need to talk to George to get him <br>
videotaped for our welcome plenary because he can't physically be <br>
there. Working for more speakers.<br>
  <br>
Corporate sponsors.<br>
GW: update. Stan and I have reviewed a draft of sponsorship <br>
package. Until details were worked out with STS, it was held up. <br>
Now it's ready to go out.<br>
If you have suggestions for who could be approached as sponsors, send <br>
the contact info to George and to assistant Brett Silcox<br>
Q: who is being approached?<br>
GW: First, aerospace contractors, other kinds of business, <br>
consulting firms<br>
  <br>
Frank: did you use any part of our track in sponsorship package? GW, <br>
yes, included<br>
  <br>
Seth: job fair<br>
  <br>
GW: a great idea but to be straightforward unless somebody really <br>
takes ownership of this I suspect it will fall by the wayside. Seth <br>
will ping a person at Boeing, but doesn't have enough time to manage, <br>
and it might be a conflict of interest to help other companies hire.<br>
GW: think Joe Rauscher got back. Brett why don't you and I ping him <br>
to see if he will take a leadership role?<br>
  <br>
Corporate exhibitors:<br>
Pat: will Stan deal with? or somehow else?<br>
GW: integrated into the sponsorship package. we'll see how people <br>
respond. Phil was going to take that on, but unlikely now<br>
Pat: I consider it a hotel thing. Send me exhibitors and I'll make <br>
a space for it.<br>
  <br>
Public Relations<br>
Jeremy: media are registering, one who works for PopSci<br>
email outreach, things developed for Ad Astra magazine, working on <br>
ads for print and other media. Working on press release right now, <br>
waiting until website is ready to send press releases out, expecting <br>
it will be in about a week.<br>
Amaresh: available to help with P.R., about reaching out to <br>
universities in the area.<br>
Frank: 2 people working on international outreach to art publications<br>
  <br>
GW: outreach to general media<br>
  <br>
Kennda: sent email to George and Karen. In next week we'll get email <br>
blast, web articles, and coverage in US Black Professional magazine.<br>
  <br>
So many angles, with Planetary and NSS, should be many outlets <br>
interested.<br>
  <br>
Pat: Questions?<br>
Sam: when might we see a skeleton of programming schedule?<br>
Pat: has been working on that, will be sending<br>
  <br>
Lisa: developing space medicine track, not sure of parameters, what <br>
to say to invitees --<br>
Kennda: same issue, don't understand constraints of programming<br>
  <br>
GW: Plenary sessions difficult w/more than 5 people. sessions are <br>
only 50 minutes. Most tracks will be in the afternoon, 3-5 hours <br>
long, broken into half-hour chunks. So. That's the baseline. For <br>
bigger or more numerous presentations, we'll talk about it.<br>
  <br>
Dave Stuart: so, mornings are plenaries and afternoons are tracks?<br>
GW: Yes<br>
  <br>
Frank: Q<br>
Pat: rooms of all kinds shapes and sizes available<br>
  <br>
Dave Stuart: Track set aside for NSS committee and board meetings?<br>
Pat: yes<br>
Dave: NSS chapters assembly, in past 4-5 hours devoted to that, <br>
discussion of changing that, not doing the track other than the <br>
necessary meetings. Instead, a large exhibit about chapters -- <br>
display info?<br>
so, 2 things need to be on the agenda: 1. NSS chapter committee <br>
meeing, 2 hours. 2. Request for evening time chapters assembly.<br>
  <br>
Pat: will be sending out schedule grid with fill-ins sketched out, <br>
for comments. Email me anything you are requesting to be put on it.<br>
  <br>
Dennis: will come to hotel meeting in morning with Pat<br>
  <br>
GW: when to meet next. Soon to weekly meetings, not quite yet.<br>
Pat: via telecon<br>
  <br>
Feb 5 Superbowl Sunday 1 p.m. Pacific, 4 p.m. EST<br>
  <br>
encourage people to send out any updates on your area of <br>
responsibility to ISDC list<br>
  <br>
Dave Stuart: Is SEDS doing any major input?<br>
GW: hope is to replicate success from last year, volunteers<br>
Frank: Space Art track development proposal, should send to GW?<br>
GW: Yes<br>
Pat: Send to me, too.<br>
  <br>
  <br>
</blockquote>
<br>
</div>
<br>
<br>
<div id="RTEContent">George T. Whitesides <br>
Executive Director, National Space Society <br>
1620 I St. NW, Suite 615 | Washington, DC 20006 <br>
T: 202 429 1600 | F: 202 463 8497 | M: 626 833 5869 <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:george@nss.org">george@nss.org</a> | <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.nss.org">http://www.nss.org</a><br>
<br>
May 4-7, The 25th annual Internation Space Development Conference<br>
The citizen space event of the year!&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.isdc2006.org">www.isdc2006.org</a><br>
</div>
</body>
</html>