[ISDC2006] [Fwd: Notes from March 5 ISDC telecon]

pcojanis pcojanis at ureach.com
Mon Mar 6 11:59:24 EST 2006

George and Pat,

You may want to check out this event
 GRAND SLAM XIV: THE SCI-FI SUMMIT
http://www.creationent.com/cal/stgs.htm

It should be a good place to advertise ISDC especially since it
is local, and by the looks of it, with some of the speakers
there (several astronauts, and others) you might be able to make
a soft contact and see if they would be interested in attending,
and/or speak at ISDC. (panel, or keynote or some other event)
Alan Bean, has done quite a body of art in recent years, it may
be good to get him involved in the Space Art track.  There is a
bunch of actors and writer there from Sci Fi series, it may be
possible to see if a few would like to also attend ISDC.  All in
all I think it would be a good local place to advertise ISDC.  I
think tickets to a day of the event are $25.00 anyone interested
in going and passing out flyers?

Philip Cojanis
pcojanis at ureach.com

---- On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Pat Montoure
(montoure.pat at ssd.loral.com) wrote:

> ATTACHMENT 0: multipart/alternative

necessarily for
> everyone to attend each one, but as many as possible.
>
> Baseline, to meet every week on Sunday.  Could start once on
Sunday,
> once on an evening during the week.
>
> Sunday okay, whatever we do, let's make it consistent.
>
> Consistently missing anybody on Sunday?  Only Planetary, but
work
> with them on Tuesday in leadership meetings.  Try to encourage

> Planetary to send a rep to these Sunday meetings.
> So, now we'll meet weekly on Sunday at this time.
>
> Move track chair reports to end of meeting
>
> 2. General updates
> Thanks to Mike for keeping programming up to date on website.
Now we
> are programming and scheduling, talking with all the top VIP
> speakers, fitting them into top speaking opportunities
depending on
> their availablilities.
> Pat doing a great job.  We will have a new iteration of
schedule with
> rooms attached end of next week.  For now, defer those
questions

> 3. Programming – Pat / George
> A. Track Chairs Reports
> (moved to end of meeting)
>
> 5. Videographer for ISDC
>
> 6. Responsibility reports
>
> A. Big name speakers – George
>
> Charles Elachi, opening speaker Thursday.
> Keynote by Elon Musk
> Burt Rutan lunch speech
> fabulous afternoon of programming, featuring head of Google
Earth,
> head of NM space development, folks from Virgin Galactic
>
> Next morning Space Adventures and Greg Olsen will give a talk
> then Shana Dale and Moon Mars Exploration
> then a bunch of special surprise guests, depending on
availability

> B. Thurs night Gala - Space Tourism Soc
>
> new name, Orbit Awards (not Gala) -- AV requirements?  talk to
Pat
> Allison -- has walk-through on Wednesday with John
> have people in place to do the show reel on the video side, if
you
> have things nice for montage or background stuff, get with
Karen Rugg
> about that -- collecting all info about awardees and bios
>
> Pat:  send to Lisa, so she can get program book information
> GEorge: two pages in
>
> Allison:  Also getting a lot of suggestions from people about
what we
> should do at Awards, want to temper that enthusiasm a bit, too
many
> chefs
>
> Joe Redfield:  catch up later on with Allison
>
> C. Registration
>
> Joe:  78 so far
>
> D. Hotel – Please send any questions/concerns to Pat
>
> E. Audio Visual – Pat will need to have speakers requirements
ASAP

> Pat sent Matt Kaplan first proposal, also getting one from
hotel,
> Matt has some other people to send RFPs.
> GW - when you refine that price, send to Joe
> Pat- higher than Joe budgeted
> Big screens for rooms
> Could get 2 in Orbit Awards, move one from another room.
>
> GW -- Pat and Allison, please talk with Matt and coordinate
> Allison budgeted all separate
> Pat thought they were ordering for them.
> GW -- let's all talk before Wednesday meeting
> Michael Mealling -- many people starting to put video in
powerpoints,
> and a lot of LCD projectors can't accomodate.  Would be great
> solve the problem to avoid stumbling over video that doesn't
work --
> written out instructions
>
> GW -- preference is to have dedicated computers, presentations
from
> those
> Stan -- will recommend AV group to Pat
> GW -- does anybody want to serve on an ad hoc tech team to
deal with
> specs for presentations
> Sam volunteers.  If anybody else wants to work on it, all
email Pat.

> F. Tours - Planetary Soc / Walt Mirczak
> GW:  made progress on JPL tour, SpaceX tour
> Rich Pournelle on line, will help us with Mojave tour
> want to get all these tours up on line this week
> will be able to register on secondary registration form
>
> Seth:  Boeing tour needs list of names and citizenships, still

> haven't cleared to advertise on website.  Will work with Walt.

> Boeing can accomodate two tours.
> MarK:  Sunsat board meeting set for Wednesday or what?
> Seth: wed May 3 at Boeing
> Mark: we have room reserved for them on Wednesday
> Seth:  Sunsat will run a session in SSI track, John Mankins
will
> lead, Sunsat board will meet separately
>
> G. Web Site – Mike Turney
>
> GW: Mike doing a fantastic job
> Mike:  registration page loads slow, still waiting for content
for
> space art and tours content
> Sam: says STS website will be linking to ISDC registration
page

> H. Vendor/Dealers Room –
> Pat:  we have a number already, not going to go out and beat
the
> bushes --
> all you guys from other organizations, if you want to put
materials
> out, we'll have
>
> I. Affiliate organizations Pat
> sent out many emails
> Robin:  suggest email/newsletter template to affiliate orgs,
ad links
> with code snippets
> GW: Robin draft for putting up on website
>
> J. Corporate Sponsors – Stan Rosen
> GW: waiting to see if NASA was going to come on as an official
sponsor
> Sam: take a look at Apple proposal
>
> K. Corporate Exhibitors
>
> L. PR Jeremy
> GW:  Jeremy and Susan at Planetary working on postcards to TPS
and
> NSS members
> Allison:  postcard, invitation to Orbit Awards, let's
coordinate

> 4. Programming Book – Track Chairs: Lisa Kaspin is going to be

> putting together the program book. She will need Bio, Photos
(if
> possible) and a small (3-4 sentences) paragraph about
speakers, and
> subject matter.
>
> GW:  Lisa, it would be great if you could produce a table of
> contents, and then try to identify sections where you need
other
> people to give you material -- enable the rest of us to help
get that
> information to you.
>
> Mike Turney:  on speakers page, who is not a speaker only a
guest?
> GW:  will put together that list for Lisa
> Sam:  has photos available for program book
>
> Track chair reports:
>

> 6. Other business (please email George or Pat to put
additional items
> on the agenda).
>
> Pat- pass
> Brian - contact GW about
> Mike
> John Wright -
> Pat -- Will Watson taking over the grid, he needs to be cc'd
on
> anything to do with rooms or slots
> willjwatson at gmail.com
> Will will send email to list,
> Dave -- unclear which speakers you can see for the basic
price, and
> which ones are extras.  It would be good to be clear before
the early
> bird deadline.  emails from speakers whose attendance at conf

> contingent on abstract being accepted.  Dave will send out a
note to
> all chairs re accepting abstracts
> Mike Turney -- possible to extend early bird deadline a week
or so?
> GW reluctant, will think about it
> Michael Mealling -- speakers get any break on prices?
> GW  normal policy, plenary level attractions will get
registrations
> waived, not meals.  In general, people in the tracks don't get

> registrations waived.
> Pat -- Planetary not charging their speakers.
> GW -- nobody's going to get a discount without formal approval
from
> top level of the conference.  we don't want to give wholesale

> freebies away, good way to get conference in trouble
> Michael --
> Allison -- big conferences don't charge their speakers a
dime.you're
> underpricing your conference
>
> Mark:  Awards committee assuming awards Friday and Saturday
lunches
> and dinners, and they'll put together the presentations for
the awards.
> GW: needs to be coordinated with Pat and me.
> Mark: any other programming in those meals, except the
speakers?
> GW: not sure about other speakers right now
>
> Lisa:  will need awards info from awards committee
>
> Brett - no
> Dennis Whipple - (gone)
> Seth -- jobs and careers fair, fading but not completely out,
> GW -- need to get you connected with Joe Rauscher
> Joe: working with Rachel Larson of Boeing Young Engineers
Group, hope
> to have a team put together for the job fair.  Hoping for
maybe ten
> companies.  Looking for volunteers.
> Pat:  charge rate for table?  $75
> GW: for corporations that participate at a higher level, they
will
> get a table included
> Seth:  with Craig's blessing, sent volunteer list to Boeing
Young

_____from
> State
>
> Berin -- business track, specific legal issues having to do
with
> business within business track
>
> Will -- no
>
> Josh - chaired previous conf, and will chair next.
> Pat: re badges.
> GW: handled by Randall and Gary, may be an automated facility
now

> Rich - nothing to add
> GW: thanks for Mojave tour and reaching out to special
speakers, Rich
> is bus dev
>
> Robin -- re track managers should program for the afternoons
as much
> as possible, plenaries and keynotes scheduled in the morning
> GW: Planetary tracks
> GW: Plenary means talk or panel with top-level speakers going
on when
> nothing else is going on
> Planetary and NSS are coordinating on the plenaries, just one
track
> in the morning,
> Michael -- some programming won't fit
> GW: simplify the morning, and give these VIP speakers great
audience,
> people who will be broadly interesting --
>
> Dave: have to pay another $165 for space venturing forum to
see Elon
> Musk?
> GW: answer no.  but your confusion is something that might be
shared
> by other people.
>
> Michael:  Sunday morning doing tracks?
> GW:  probably
>
> Joe Rauscher: still thinking of sometime Saturday for job
fair?
> GW: yes
>
> Pat: Big room can break down in to small rooms for tracks in
afternoon.

> Vern: looks like we're 110 percent filled, will take option of
going
> to Sunday or optional morning session
> trying to put together panel from user community to talk about
what
> economics of space elevator to them, send emails to track
managers
> Michael Mealling and Berin Szoka will work with him to get
speakers
> for his panel
> vern at spaceward.org
>
> Ben - no
> Joe Rauscher - nothing more
>
> Jim Spellman -- any word from Gen. Pete Worden about speaking
to base
> commander at vandenberg.  Space Services Inc hopes to launch
second
> Falcon from Vandenberg early May.  could be interesting.
> Email regarding this year being 40th anniversary of Star Trek,
since
> a couple of our board members are cast members from original
series,
> any kind of tribute or honor to series?
> GW: good question, still waiting to hear from Nichelle
Nichols,
> Kennda talking to Paramount about getting all
> explorers web has ISDC listed
>
> Joe Redfield -- we have 77 registrants, 12 people registered
for STS
> awards banquet, haven't got much time, we need to be doing
> advertising, and get people registered.
>
> Stan -- re sponsorship package -facility requirements for
exhibitors
> Pat will get info from hotel,
> GW -- sounds like we need to do more work on this.  Get specs
from
> hotel?
> pat, vern -- hotel has lost architectural drawings
> Stan-- drawing that shows exhibit spaces we're selling?
> Pat -- no
> GW -- we need to get that done
>
> Ted - videography, talk to George later
>
> George:  one piece of news, confidential to folks on this
line, good