[ISDC2006] [Fwd: Re: ISDC planning meeting January 22, 2006]
montoure.pat at ssd.loral.com
Tue Jan 24 15:18:28 EST 2006
Minutes from Robin. Thanks Robin, you are awesome.
*/Robin Snelson <robin.snelson at gmail.com>/* wrote:
Pat and George,
Notes for you. George, about putting the meeting notes up on the
wiki... did I mention that I hate wikis?
I'll just send them to you two, and you can decide how to distribute --
ISDC planning meeting January 22, 2006
at Sheraton Gateway LAX
Pat Montoure, Dave Snead, Craig Ward, Seth Potter, Lisa Kaspin, Sam
Coniglio, Robin Snelson
+ ... Dennis Whipple, Ramona Montayne
George Whitesides, Jeremy Pyle, Brett Silcox, Mike Turney, Dave
Stuart, Frank Pietronigro, Walt Mirzcak, Amaresh Kollipara, Mark
Hopkins, Kennda Lynch
Pat: Phil was in accident, will be okay but can't work on programming
now, so Pat is it -- coordinating all programming.
Programming book: Lisa will edit, needs somebody to help lay out.
Mike Turney did last conference, great job. Lisa wants to touch
base with him.
Mike: plan early, start building it as you go along.
GW: Mike, will you mentor Lisa?
Mike: get an individual or two in charge of acquiring bios, head
shots, start as soon as you can. Lisa works in Quark on Windows,
Mike uses Adobe PageMill on a Mac. [If these two can get along,
there's hope for the space world.]
Sam: suggest simple template in Word
Craig: schedule in Excel
Pat: short bios, synopsis of program
Mike and Lisa will talk about producing the program book
GW: Pat will run the meeting, first a few announcements
Big name speakers, the wheels are finally engaged -- if you've seen
the latest list we have Buzz, Rusty, Rick Searfoss, Eric Anderson,
Peter Diamandis (garbled -- something about terraforming Mars) Hugh
Downs, John Mankins, Elon Musk, Steve Oswald, Dennis Tito for the STS
gala and now Burt Rutan. You see here the new world of space.
Expect Planetary Society will soon confirm many leading planetary
scientists -- Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Titan and Pluto. Third
component, we should soon hear back from our invited NASA speakers,
Griffin, Shana Dale highest ranking woman in NASA ever. Expect we'll
get more confirmations over coming couple of weeks.
Promotion publicity: Ads, big ads in Ad Astra, sending out
Feel we as a team are starting to jell together.
Question by ?: Any invites to legislators? GW: Reps Calvert,
Rohrbacher, Jane Harmon, Sen Feinstein
Space Tourism Society will do publicity to include ISDC?
Sam: John Spencer's list will get the press release. Tasked to do
ecommerce site. GW: Check w/ Allison, new development, we will set
up ticket sales through the conference
Seth: STS Gala & NSS awards banquet the same? Answer: no. Separate.
GW: just worked out relationship w STS w/Allison Dollar. NSS would
play greater role than TPS in the STS Gala.
Last year, we distributed awards over the course of several meal
events, so to focus more attention on individual winners instead of a
steady stream of awards. Looking for consensus on that sort of
Everyone agrees that's a good way to do it.
Pat: how many registered? GW: don't know at the moment, need to open
Pat: any questions for dealing with hotel?
AV? Dennis Whipple's contact missing, will work with hotel for AV setup
Wireless? Will ask for it in the conference package.
Dave Stuart: include wireless in room for conf. attendees?
Sam: art show -- equipment for hanging, locations in hotel, room for
a 20-foot diameter planet?
Robin: rocket-bike demonstration?
Jeremy: has a list of media-related questions will send to Pat for
Dennis Whipple-- arrives -- recommends going with hotel anyway. sees
his job as to coordinate with whatever company we hire, not to find
the company. work with hotel is smoothest thing we can do, if within
Mark: look into other ways to set up our own wireless network
Walt -- working on Vandenberg, JPL, Mojave (XCOR, Spaceport, Scaled),
Sea Launch, SpaceX, Ruben H Fleet
Rich Pournelle contact at XCOR. George re Scaled?
GW:Burt can't commit until mid-April until he knows more about what
will be able to be public
GW: re JPL, recently emailed with Louis Friedman, would talk to
Charles Elachi about arranging a tour. Bruce Betts down in Florida
for Pluto launch. Susan is the point of contact for tours --
coordinate with her.
R: Phil said Sea Launch was a no-go GW: still working on it, may yet
Spellman said Vandenberg was a no-go, but Walt says still trying.
GW: we'll get some of our generals on it.
Amaresh: will remind Rich Pournelle tomorrow when speaks to him
Jeremy: Possible a sneak preview of Griffith Observatory ? GW: small
group of Planetary VIPs toured in connection with their gala, they
have the contacts, Walt should raise question to Planetary
Jeremy: Ruben H Fleet is a go, just a question of interest and
GW: thanks to Mike, Jeremy. Karen finished log. Karen and Steven
working together to develop new graphic look for ISDC site.
Seth: Planetary no obvious link yet
Robin: big invite from Lou Friedman on website
Seth: SSI site it's the biggest thing
Mike Turney: sharing info, bios, photos etc, figure out a way to
share our stuff, in ISDC directory
GW: upload on Wiki possible? don't know. Password-protected area on
NSS site, we could give access to you and Lisa
Dave Stuart: two things, ideas from the past. 1. a small area to
leave messages about sharing rooms, 2. list of last names and states
of registrants for self-confirmation that registration received, note
underneath about meals.
GW: Dave, identify how to do this? Message board? NSS forum?
Dave will write it up, post on forum, and Mike will integrate into
[note to Karen and Steven]
Vendors and Dealers:
Lost the person who was doing that. Need somebody to take that on.
Anybody? Craig will check with volunteers from OASIS
Seth: progress on stuff nobody asked me to do -- Hal Walker
confirmed, Kennda. Space Studies Institute call for papers for ISDC,
number of topics within space solar power now a session within SSI
track. Sunsat Council will be involved with SSI, and SSI with ISDC.
Mark: potential problem developing. All soliciting papers, some
topics may be the same for all three organizations, could be a conflict.
Seth: all the representatives should talk to each other.
Dave Snead and Lee Valentine
Especially space settlement stuff that's SSI is also specific to NSS
-- potential conflict.
Seth: SSI and TPS about as unlike as you can get
Robin: they both have solar sails
Pat: need somebody to recruit supporting organizations
GW: already have many groups signed on, need to nail down the
particulars, could use help, means helping me reach out to these
groups, lot of legwork already done. Hoping Robin would help.
Kennda: still hasn't gotten paperwork for affilliate org
GW: we have a document, needs to be finished, very straightforward,
it will be out soon.
Kennda: update, Hal WAlker confirmed, Exec Direc Carl Mack confirmed,
to be videotaed, amazing orator, need to talk to George to get him
videotaped for our welcome plenary because he can't physically be
there. Working for more speakers.
GW: update. Stan and I have reviewed a draft of sponsorship
package. Until details were worked out with STS, it was held up.
Now it's ready to go out.
If you have suggestions for who could be approached as sponsors, send
the contact info to George and to assistant Brett Silcox
Q: who is being approached?
GW: First, aerospace contractors, other kinds of business,
Frank: did you use any part of our track in sponsorship package? GW,
Seth: job fair
GW: a great idea but to be straightforward unless somebody really
takes ownership of this I suspect it will fall by the wayside. Seth
will ping a person at Boeing, but doesn't have enough time to manage,
and it might be a conflict of interest to help other companies hire.
GW: think Joe Rauscher got back. Brett why don't you and I ping him
to see if he will take a leadership role?
Pat: will Stan deal with? or somehow else?
GW: integrated into the sponsorship package. we'll see how people
respond. Phil was going to take that on, but unlikely now
Pat: I consider it a hotel thing. Send me exhibitors and I'll make
a space for it.
Jeremy: media are registering, one who works for PopSci
email outreach, things developed for Ad Astra magazine, working on
ads for print and other media. Working on press release right now,
waiting until website is ready to send press releases out, expecting
it will be in about a week.
Amaresh: available to help with P.R., about reaching out to
universities in the area.
Frank: 2 people working on international outreach to art publications
GW: outreach to general media
Kennda: sent email to George and Karen. In next week we'll get email
blast, web articles, and coverage in US Black Professional magazine.
So many angles, with Planetary and NSS, should be many outlets
Sam: when might we see a skeleton of programming schedule?
Pat: has been working on that, will be sending
Lisa: developing space medicine track, not sure of parameters, what
to say to invitees --
Kennda: same issue, don't understand constraints of programming
GW: Plenary sessions difficult w/more than 5 people. sessions are
only 50 minutes. Most tracks will be in the afternoon, 3-5 hours
long, broken into half-hour chunks. So. That's the baseline. For
bigger or more numerous presentations, we'll talk about it.
Dave Stuart: so, mornings are plenaries and afternoons are tracks?
Pat: rooms of all kinds shapes and sizes available
Dave Stuart: Track set aside for NSS committee and board meetings?
Dave: NSS chapters assembly, in past 4-5 hours devoted to that,
discussion of changing that, not doing the track other than the
necessary meetings. Instead, a large exhibit about chapters --
so, 2 things need to be on the agenda: 1. NSS chapter committee
meeing, 2 hours. 2. Request for evening time chapters assembly.
Pat: will be sending out schedule grid with fill-ins sketched out,
for comments. Email me anything you are requesting to be put on it.
Dennis: will come to hotel meeting in morning with Pat
GW: when to meet next. Soon to weekly meetings, not quite yet.
Pat: via telecon
Feb 5 Superbowl Sunday 1 p.m. Pacific, 4 p.m. EST
encourage people to send out any updates on your area of
responsibility to ISDC list
Dave Stuart: Is SEDS doing any major input?
GW: hope is to replicate success from last year, volunteers
Frank: Space Art track development proposal, should send to GW?
Pat: Send to me, too.
George T. Whitesides
Executive Director, National Space Society
1620 I St. NW, Suite 615 | Washington, DC 20006
T: 202 429 1600 | F: 202 463 8497 | M: 626 833 5869
george at nss.org | http://www.nss.org
May 4-7, The 25th annual Internation Space Development Conference
The citizen space event of the year! www.isdc2006.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ISDC2006