[ISDC2006] What goes around, comes around. . .

Spellman James Civ 60 MDG/PA James.Spellman at travis.af.mil
Fri Jan 6 15:28:07 EST 2006

Looking at the ISDC program from 1982 (courtesy Dale Amon), I'm struck
by the fact that I was just up the road at Loyola Marymount University
in the first year of my Master's program and didn't know anything about
the conference (I was with the Planetary Society since it's 1980
founding, but didn't join NSI until late in 1984, and L5 the following
year).

My second thought is we ought to get some of the original speakers from
that first conference back to L.A. again for the 2006 ISDC for a little
retrospective.

One notable is the following, who can be reached at www.bjotrimble.com/
<http://www.bjotrimble.com/>  -- and may even be helpful in getting the
word out to a much larger populace than we can ever hope to do
ourselves.

Comments?

Bjo Trimble

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: navigation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjo_Trimble#column-one#column-one> ,
search
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjo_Trimble#searchInput#searchInput>

Betty Jo Trimble, born as Betty McCarthy, universally known as Bjo, is
one of the most significant figures in the history of science fiction
fandom <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_fandom> . Initially
entering fandom in the early 1950s <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s>
, Bjo, along with her husband John Trimble, is credited as being one of
the most influential fans of any generation.

Bjo revived a flagging Los Angeles Science Fiction Society
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Science_Fiction_Society>
(LASFS) in the late 1950s. In 1958 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958> ,
Bjo put together the first WorldCon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldcon>  Futuristic Fashion Show. She
ran it again in 1966 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966> , incidentally
giving fandom a glimpse at three early Star Trek
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek>  costumes. Bjo started and
directed "Project Art Show", the first modern convention
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_convention>  art show, in
1960 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960> . The success of Project Art
Show led to art shows becoming a profitable part of most conventions,
large and small.

Bjo and John's most famous cause was the Save Star Trek campaign which
led to the third season of the series being made after a threatened
cancellation. This, in turn, assured that the series stayed in re-runs
until the decision was made to renew the concept. It also resulted in an
in-joke, the slight variation in their last name for the episode "The
Trouble with Tribbles
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trouble_with_Tribbles> ". They also
ran the campaign to have the first of NASA
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA> 's space shuttles
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_shuttle>  named Enterprise.

Bjo received the Big Heart Award
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Big_Heart_Award&action=edit>
in 1964 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964> , and also the Society for
Creative Anachronism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism> 's Order
of the Laurel; an art award. Bjo and John are also both members of the
SCA's Order of the Pelican for service. Bjo also received the
International Costumers Guild's Lifetime Achievement award. Bjo was
Guest of Honor at 1995's DragonCon
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonCon> , the 6th North American
Science Fiction Convention
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Science_Fiction_Convention>
, as well as at many other science fiction and Star Trek conventions
around the world. Bjo and John Trimble were the Fan Guests of Honor at
the 60th WorldCon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldcon> , Con Jose.

Currently, Bjo and John Trimble live in Southern California
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California>  where they have their own
business, Griffin Dyeworks & Fiber Arts.

[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bjo_Trimble&action=edit&secti
on=1> ]

External links