[ISDC2006] Re: ISDC Planning meeting 12/18/05 notes

Pat Montoure montoure.pat at ssd.loral.com
Mon Dec 19 12:04:12 EST 2005


Thanks Robin, appreciate the notes.  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all.

Pat

Robin Snelson wrote:

> ISDC Planning meeting 12/18/05
>
> Seth Potter
> Pat Montoure
> George whitesides
> Robin Snelson
> Mark Hopkins
> Brian Schoenig
> Dave Snead
> Cherie Rabideau
> Larry Evans
> ///  Geza Binger (not present, spelling correction)
> Ivor Dawson
> Frank Pietronigro
> Joe Rauscher
> Stephen Prater
> Ramona Montayne
> >Sam Coniglio
> >>Kennda Lynch
> >>>Karen Lau
> >>>> Phil Cojanis
>
>
> George:  This call will be relatively short.
>
> Agenda -- items to add?
>
> Dave Snead -- Kent Miller raised issue about sending out VIP  
> invitation letters
> George much progress made
>
> Seth-- are we going to have a proceedings book?  collection of papers  
> and presentations
> new trend to CD ROM
>
> Mark -- SSI plans to publish its proceedings, journal
>
> George understand the issue, to be discussed
>
>
> Brian Schoenig intro working now on joint strike fighter, volunteered  
> on X Prize, worked with Nick
>
>
> George:  involvement with NASA,  Lou Friedman will talk to Mike  
> Griffin on Tuesday ma
>
> Will meet two communications guys from NASA Joe Davis and David ____   
> seek sponsorship
>
> Monday morning Angela _______ head of NASA education will be briefed  
> by staff
>
> Scott Pace, now one of top 5 guys in NASA, will be briefed
>
> Scott Horowitz ESMD director and staff briefed and are supportive
>
> Expect we'll have good attendance and good support
>
> Lou Friedman reaching out to director of JPL,
>
> Pete Worden may become head of Ames, in which case we'd have another  
> strong friend
>
> idea: Mike Griffin opening keynote or one of the dinner talks
> fiscal sponsorship:  helping us to videotape or webcast
>
> any other ideas on how NASA could help, email to Pat and George
>
> one other area, VIPs, or plenary and luncheon, dinner speakers
>
> have now about 90 folks built from consensus document developed by  
> this committee
>
> Hugh Downs and Neil deGrasse Tyson will sign the letters, so all top  
> folks will have letters from 2 VIPS
>
> also sending out notices to NSS and TPS board of advisors and  
> directors, so they will have it on their calendars
>
> Pat, Bruce and I will update as acceptances
>
> Report on talk with David Knight who's organizing the venture track.   
> Superstars of entrepreneurial space, inviting
>
> all the updates I have
>
> >>Sam Coniglio
>
> move to overview, of what people have worked on since last time,
>
> area of responsibility worksheet
>
> corrections to master contact list?  send to Lisa
>
> Cherie and Larry:  found out at IMAX screening, Paul Newman is very  
> pro-space, narrated new IMAX movie called Roving Mars
>
> George:  maybe special focus session on Roving Mars with
>
> Larry:  think it would be great to have film festival, room set up to  
> show films all the time
>
> George:  haven't gone so far as to set up room, Larry would you want  
> to set up?
>
> Pat:  How big a room?  Theater style?
>
> Larry   50-- 100, just a place you can stop by and
>
> Frank Pietronigro with space art track would like to liase with Larry  
> on this
>
> Joe Rauscher-- connect with Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
>
> Larry:  another organization to get involved is Museum of Television  
> and Radio, maybe work out an evening program there...?
>
> Larry:  IMAX has its own theater in Santa Monica
>
> George: Larry, will you raise this idea of a special screening with them
>
> Larry:  yes, and will try to get director, producer,
>
> George:  if you need another ally in IMAX, contact Maggie Dunn
>
> Larry:  email me her contact info
>
> >>>Kennda Lynch
>
>
> George:  treasurer & budget, Joe in India now, has had some  
> discussions with Lu Coffing
>
> Programming:  Dave Snead
>
> Dave:  the database is in a web link, call for papers, forms active
>
> George: thought last time looked, it was tracks from last year
> take a look at his page and make comments on it
>
> Corporate sponsors:  George has talked with Stan Rosen
> Seth?
> Seth:  Not sure exactly who was supposed to call Pete and get  
> discussion going.
> George:  you and Stan have the conversation, really the next thing we  
> need to do on sponsorship thing is to finalize sponsorship package --  
> will send it to Seth.  Give us your thoughts.  Last piece we need is  
> price menu for package.
>
> Joe Rauscher:  possible to include option of becoming involved with  
> job fair in sponsorship package?
>
> George:  good point, maybe included with certain level of  
> sponsorship, table at job fair
>
> Seth: spoke to person Boeing California will coordinate (national or  
> california level?) -- will need to coordinate once the package hits  
> the street.
>
> Joe:  might want United Space alliance to be umbrella sponsor, help  
> from JPL or CalTEch to help with logistics
>
> >>>Karen Lau
>
> Exhibits:  Hank not on call, we'll make sure exhibits wrapped into  
> sponsor pkg
>
> As a general rule, NSS approaches companies end of year, we've been
>
> Media & communications:  ISDC PA list -- anyone who wishes to join or  
> has media advice, send to Jeremy
>
> Press release forthcoming, call for papers should be focus of press  
> release
>
> Robin to work with jeremy Wired calendar, SEed magazine, early  
> approaches to LA times, LA weekly,
>
> Karen: branding logo
>
> consensus 1st one, palm trees space sky -- palm trees and spotlights  
> form roman numerals for 25
>
> will meet with Jennifer this week, on how this design will be used in  
> other media
>
> Dave Snead: doesn't look like Kent has updated web page with current  
> tracks, we'll have to make the changes
>
> Logo:  should have NSS and TPS somewhere in it
>
> Joe: re background
> Karen:  starfield many options
>
> George:  try out a couple of other fonts for title font
>
> Check how looks in black and white
>
> George:  feel free to not send something out until you've had your  
> meeting with Planetary
>
> Website:
>
> Seth:  can't find link to conference on TPS website yet
>
> Affiliate organizations:
> Ivor:  the people who run LAX,  the greater Inglewood chamber of  
> commerce, going to need a sponsor package also
> enthusiast organizations that I've contacted, ninety-nines, etc.  
> getting back to me asking if there's a cost, etc.
>
> GW:  Phil Cojanis working on our affiliate org. forms, very simple,
> no cost, unless you take on additional sponsorship
>
> Pat:  we ask for something, advertising, publicity to members
>
> Mark :  get a copy of that form
>
> GW :Phil will have that form soon, and send out to the whole list
>
> Sam:  Accelerating change conference, John Smart group, Stanford conf  
> each year,
>
> Mark:  suggesting they merge their conference with ours?  instead of  
> their conference they would do this?
>
> Sam:  looks like that's a possiblity, didn't make the telecon this  
> morning
>
> Mark:  we've also been talking with Barbara Marx Hubbard's group and  
> the World Future Society
>
> Education:
> Larry:  have talked to Space Day
> think there should be a track for teachers
>
> >> Phil Cojanis joining
>
> GW:  What are the steps we need to take for Space Day?  To get money,  
> put in a proposal
>
> IVOR -- hiring traveling space museum for 23rd of may
>
> GW:  may also be funds from other parts of Lockheed that could be  
> used for not just Space Day
>
> Larry:  Lockheed also sponsor of IMAX space movies, could be  
> approached that way
>
> Larry:  will be gone for about a month just before ISDC, wants to  
> make sure doesn't leave anyone hanging with absence
>
> Pat:  Larry, just keep George and me informed by email, what you're  
> doing, so we can pick up the ball if can't be reached in Turkey
>
> Larry: doing some local things, major event on San diego Jan 28  
> anniversary of Challenger accident, try to get the word out about ISDC
>
> GW: materials -- if you want a bunch of magazines, we can get you  
> that.  Can print out flyer on front page of NSS site
>
> Mark -- talk to Jeremy, he's in San Diego
>
> Larry :  we're working with Jeremy
>
> Ivor:  Traveling Space Museum will be in Orlando Worlds Fair for Kids
>
> ______ interested in Education track
> GW:  send contact info to Pat
>
> Art:  focusing on fundraising, to get funds for Space Art webcast and  
> space art parabolic flight for artists
> working with zero-G to do live interactive webcast
> substantial proposal we'll be sending out, membership campaign to  
> generate funding, looking for sponsors
>
> group of advisors, former NASA astronaut, Bettyann Kevles, Roger  
> Malina, Dr. David Newman
>
> one thing that would help with Lisa Kaspin's list, if we could see  
> the roles that people are playing
>
> GW:  Lisa revise list;  Pat will work with her to do that
>
> Kennda:  working with get our track together, working to get website  
> up, meeting with our national public relations people, giving them  
> our marketing plan, so we can advertise ISDC on our website
>
> GW:  window of opportunity right now, if you have people you want to  
> invite with our letter from Downs and Tyson
>
> National Society of Black Engineers, national convention anywhere  
> from 7 to 10 thousand
>
> Seth:  will put Kennda in touch with Hal Walker
>
> Ramona: on merchandising, wait until logo is done?
> Karen:  would be good now if somebody has time to locate vendors, but  
> until logo is finished
>
> GW:  I think we should have identity locked in pretty soon
>
>
> Mark: working on space settlement conference, contact with committee  
> for positive future and SSI
> proceedings issue, because that's important to space studies institute
>
>
> Phil:  talked to Davidian at NASA HQ about Centennial Challenges,  
> thought of workshop or presentations, Davidian said he would be able  
> to give about half a day of half-hour presentations.  One is  
> Spaceward Foundation, involved with Space Elevator .  Ben Shelef  
> willing to put on space elevator track for this conference.  Power  
> transmission exhibit.
>
> GW: Spaceward Foundation should be approached as affiliate organization
>
> Phil Cojanis --  California Space Authority has been approached by  
> John Spencer
>
> Sam: will contact my friends with robotics society in Bay Area
>
> Frank: space art track, propose to fly robots made in the Amazon on  
> parabolic flight
>
> Mark:  CSA should be approached about being affiliate organization   
> -- managing lunar regolith Cent Challenge
>
> Phil:  talking to Andrea Seastrand and Nat Irvingham, interested in  
> business development
>
> Phil:  ask Ivor, involved with First Robotics, possibly get some  
> involved
> Ivor: 2 teams want to do it already, on board with demonstration of  
> robots
> Southern California regional will happen March 22 at the Forum
>
> Phil:  Inst for Accelerating Change, somewhat lukewarm, kind of think  
> they want to focus on their own group
>
> Mark: proceedings issue
>
> GW:  SEth, if you can find out how much it costs in dialog with Lee,
>
> Mark:  estimate about $20K to publish
>
> GW:  won't be there for next meeting, preference for telecon or meeting?
>
> To be decided, Pat will talk to hotel to see if better  
> teleconferencing phone can be used.
>
> Happy Holidays and Good New Year
>
> Peace on Earth and in Space
>
>
>


More information about the ISDC2006 mailing list