[ISDC2006] ISDC 2006 _ First Round of Identity

Jennifer Vaughn jennifer.vaughn at planetary.org
Fri Dec 16 20:14:09 EST 2005

Hi Karen.

Thanks for the variety of looks and the care you took in preparing
them. You do very nice work. Could you (or Jeremy, or someone else on
this list) please give me some examples of where/how this logo might
be used. It's hard to properly evaluate them if I'm not sure where
people will come across it.

Of the examples you sent, I prefer the first page, far right (spacey
sky). I tested the logos in b&w and still prefer this one over all
others. I have just a few concerns:

1. I feel the spotlights draw a lot of attention, yet they're a
little nebulous in small scale. I found myself drawn-in to the logo
just to see what the big "V" was on the right rather than focusing on
the brand itself.

2. While I enjoy the blocky font, I'm concerned this one actually
loses readability, especially the "D"s and "P"s. Since we're not a
well-recognized brand, I think it's really important to be able to
read our message clearly. I'm also concerned about the small text
imbedded in the image, since it's not clear to me how small this logo
will be used (a problem we have with our own TPS logo).

3. Lastly, since the word "space" appears only in smaller font, I
feel it's even more important to say "space" in the overall look.
This is why I like the far right option, with the planet, moon,
rocket, and dreamier looking sky.

Let me know if you want to talk more about these. -jenn

--
Jennifer Vaughn
Director of Publications

The Planetary Society